Thursday, November 1, 2012

Pumpkin Carving

On Monday, while I was at the grocery store (getting a few emergency items in case we lost power because of hurricane Sandy, which thankfully did not happen) I noticed that the pumpkins had been marked down super cheap. I only bought one pumpkin thinking we could carve it together. Besides, I didn't think Paul was real big on carving pumpkins (note from Paul: I'm not) and I was in a hurry to get home. The temperature outside had dropped below freezing and the howling wind was sending the snow flurries sideways. When I got home Paul saw the pumpkin and excitedly told me about a fly fishing pumpkin carving contest he wanted to enter. Perfect, just what I wanted to carve into our pumpkin, a fish.

Before we started carving the next night, I asked Paul if he was serious about this contest. If so I'd probably prefer to have my own pumpkin. He was serious. If he won he would get a free Redington rod and reel of his choice valued at $200! Nothing like free fly fishing gear to get him motivated. So we headed back to the grocery store to get another pumpkin. They were completely sold out! I could not believe my eyes. The cute stacks of hay that had barely been noticeable under all the pumpkins yesterday now lay bare. I guess I'm not the only one who acts when they see a good deal. We went to two other places close by. The first one was closed and the other didn't have any pumpkins. Paul said I could help him out with his, so generous.


Paul makes the first cut.
He just killed the pumpkin. 

The fish picture on the table is what we were going for.


I must admit I was very impressed with the end result.
I had no idea he was so artistic. 

I put on the finishing touches by poking a hole for the eye.


Here are pictures of few other things we did during this Halloween/Fall season. I absolutely love making these cupcakes for Halloween. I got the recipe in a magazine from my Grandma Anderson a few years ago and I have made them every year since. We took them to our ward Trunk-Or-Treat.
  

Spider Web Cupcakes

Topped with spider rings.

I made this at our ward Super Saturday a few weeks ago.
It is nice to have at least one decoration in our home :)



P.S. Paul did not win his fly fishing pumpkin carving contest. Although we thought he should have.

    * Paul would also like me to note that there are no pumpkin carving fish patterns on the internet. 
       He put a lot of hard work into his pumpkin & is very proud of how it turned out.


 

4 comments:

  1. Love that! Matt stayed up till midnight Tuesday night carving his pumpkin. Didn't know he and Paul had something in common. LOL Sorry it is so cold. :( We have been so spoiled with weather in Cedar City. It is 78 degrees today and my cooler in my office came on today.

    Love that decoration you made at super saturday!!! I have never been in a ward that does super saturday. It makes me so sad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe it was that warm today for you! From what people are saying our current temperatures are unusually cold. I hope it warms back up a little.

    Thanks! Who know's if they will continue to do super Saturday. It was a lot of work for the few people in charge. I spent a few late nights helping to complete the vinyl for several of the projects. They did turn out really cute though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post. So funny! And I'm very impressed with the fish. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so enjoy reading about the things you and Paul do. Love the Pumpkin. I think I carved my first pumpkin in about 15 years because my first 4 kids all grew up and moved away.

    ReplyDelete