Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Calvin Ray Dyreng

On the morning of May 19th I called my doctor to make an appointment even though I was scheduled to see him the next day. I had a few reasons to believe I should see him sooner. I had an hour or two before he was able to see me so I packed a hospital bag just in case (I was still 12 days away from my due date). Then I drove the hour to my doctor's office in Payson. Paul was at work in Salt Lake, I told him I would call after I met with the doctor.

When I got to the doctor's office he asked me if had been contracting. I said, "There were a few white knuckled moments while I was driving." He asked me how far apart they were and how long they were lasting. I knew he would want to know this but I had no I idea, I couldn't time and drive. He then told me I was dilated to a 4 and asked me if I was ready to have my baby today. Wait, today?! Seriously! So soon? Now what? I still needed to get shampoo! He suggested I go to the mall and walk around for a bit. If I lived closer he would recommend I go home and get some rest. The first labor tends to be the longest so I should do whatever I could to distract myself and relax. He wished me luck with my afternoon and said he would see me in a few hours. On my way out the receptionist asked me when I needed to schedule my next appointment. I told her I was having my baby today so I did not need to make another appointment.

I called Paul and asked him if he was ready to be a Dad, baby boy was on his way! I was planning on coming home so we could meet up and go from there. I thought I had plenty of time... 10 minutes into my drive I started feeling sick to my stomach, really sick, and I was driving our 'new car'. I quickly pulled over and got out on the side of I-15. A few minutes later I called Paul to tell him I was probably not going to make it home. As we were finishing our conversation a police car pulled over in front of me. The officer got out and asked if everything was alright. I told him I was going into labor with my first child and I had been feeling a little sick. He offered to give me a ride to the hospital or call an ambulance. I told him I was feeling well enough to drive myself. He said he would follow me to the hospital to make sure I got there. We made it even though the officer had to show me where the labor and deliver was since I had not been there. I was planning on touring the hospital the next day. I thanked the officer for his assistance and waited for Paul to show up.

After checking in to the hospital and getting the epidural I was able to relax enough to get some sleep. When I woke up the nurse came in to check my progression. Surprised, she said I was dilated to a 10 and my water had broke. It was time to call the doctor and start pushing. The delivery went smoothly and even though he arrived sooner and faster than we were expecting, I wouldn't have it any other way. Calvin was born at 7:20 pm, weighing 6 lb 14 oz, and was 20 inches long.    

Calvin's First Fishing Trip

Happy Father's Day Paul

We love everything about our sweet Calvin Ray & we are so glad he is part of our family!


  1. What a great story! I'm so glad everything went so smoothly. We are excited to see Calvin in August!

    1. We are very excited to see you as well!

  2. He is absolutely adorable. I see many fishing trips in his future. Congratulations!

    1. Thank You! Yes I also see lots of fishing in his future!